Wednesday, 24 May 2017

Joe McElderry is Derry bound with JOSEPH, the musical

It's now less than a week to curtains up on JOSEPH,

Bill Kenwright’s ‘Amazing’, ’Superb’, ‘Wonderful’ and ‘Brilliant’ production of Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s sparkling family musical continues on its record breaking tour having sold to date an estimated 15 million tickets.
Retelling the Biblical story of Joseph (Joe McElderry), his eleven brothers and the coat of many colours, this magical musical is full of unforgettable songs including Those Canaan Days, Any Dream Will Do and Close Every Door. Joe McElderry was just 18 when he won the sixth series of The X Factor in 2009 and immediately went straight to number one in the UK Singles Charts with his debut single The Climb.
He has since gone on to have three top ten albums, as well as notching up two more reality TV show victories, winning ITV’s Pop Star to Opera Star and Channel 4’s The Jump.

But now he's coming to The Millennium Forum Derry with the superb show that is Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat. Joseph opens in Derry on Tuesday 30th May and runs until Saturday 3rd June.
I first saw this show many years ago at the same venue in Derry. I brought my young son along then to what was to be his first of many musical and theater shows. I loved the show then and I love it now. The young boy who came with me all those years ago is also going along next week (at 19 years of age) with his now girlfriend (Mum not cool enough anymore!!)
It was a delight to speak with Joe McElderry (Joseph) earlier today and find out how he feels about coming to Derry next week as Joseph.
"I'm really looking forward to coming to Derry", Joe told me. "I was there just two years ago with my Evolution tour and look forward to this return next week." Joe told me that he remembers the Derry audiences in 2015 as being 'great' and is certain next week will be the same.  "Derry was a great audience during my tour that year and I'm sure it will be the same with the show next week."
Just why does Joe McElderry believe that Joseph is such a success? Now in it's 50th year, how does it continue to appeal? "It's just a family friendly show. It's a show for everyone. It has comedy, emotion, great music, in fact it has everything. The music is fantastic and it's just great. Everyone just has a genuine love and affection for this show and it transcends time." I certainly do agree, having seen the show a number of times and as Joe said this I immediately thought on Shakespeare's contemporary Ben Jonson and what he said of the great bard: "He was not of an age but for all time." Such it is with this musical too.
With such an array of songs within the show, which is Joe's favourite? "Every song is so different and every song has it's own story. I love them all, but 'Close Every Door' is my big number and I do love that one."
I told Joe about my son planning to go along next week having first seen this show as a young boy. He explained that Joseph is the one show other than Panto that is kids first introduction to theater. I strongly agree with that as this show has instilled a love of theater in my boy. 
Joe told me that there's just four weeks remaining of this show and then his new album 'Saturday Night at the Movies' is released in July. He's immediately off on tour with that then and there really is no rest for this young man. Just how does he cope with such a hectic schedule?
"I tend not to think about it", he says. "I eat well, keep fit, keep moving and just enjoy it." He goes on to explain the difference to his own music touring to that of the musical. "I love all styles of performing but with the solo performance you have a more direct contact with the audience. I love both however and for now I'm really enjoying Joseph."
X-Factor gave this young man a platform for everything he now does. "X-Factor enabled me to experience everything I have to date. It was huge life changing." But is there an ultimate goal for this multi-talented singer/performer? "I've been very fortunate so far. I'm very lucky to have achieved so much. I would like to take my music to other countries and travel the world with it." I don't doubt one as talented as Joe McElderry will indeed travel the world with his music and soon.
But for now Joe will arrive in Derry early next week and perform on the Millennium Forum stage as Joseph. I for one am hugely looking forward to that. 
Tickets can be bought online at Millennium Forum or by calling the Box Office on 02871264455.

GMcC
Post a Comment